You might not feel wide awake but that doesn't mean you can't cheat your way to looking like it with these tips!
The busy back-to-work season and darker mornings and evenings can make it so much harder to wake up and leave you looking frazzled.
So fool everyone into thinking you’ve skipped out of bed with a smile with these 25 tips and tricks to look wide awake instantly!
1. Sleep well – During the winter months give real meaning to the phrase ‘beauty sleep’ with a night cream packed full of ingredients to fight the signs of aging. Apply with a small massage starting at the nose and working outwards, finishing by ‘playing the piano’ with your finger tips on your forehead to boost circulation and cell renewal while you sleep.
2. Exfoliate – Tired skin will benefit from a gentle exfoliation this month. By getting rid of the dull top layer, your skin becomes more transparent and luminous. Plus the scrubbing action brings blood to the surface making your face look and feel plumper.
3. Soothe tension – Pinch along your brow line to release excess tension in your eyes and help you feel more awake if you’ve had a bad night’s sleep.
4. Remove redness – If your eyelids are still suffering, pat away any redness using a yellow-toned colour corrector like Benefit’s Lemonaid £16.50 – it will instantly stop you looking tired.
5. Apply a mask – Your skin repairs itself most at night so we’ve been applying Origins Drink Up Intensive Mask £23, this New Year. Apply it before your head hits the pillow and you’ll wake up with softer, moisturised skin – no matter how much sleep you’ve had.
6. Keep cool – Store eye make-up remover pads in the fridge to soothe tired eyes the morning after the night before!
7. Hide fine lines – If you suffer from tired eyes and fine lines, avoid a concealer with a thick creamy texture and instead use a concealer that contains light reflecting particles (like YSL’s iconic Touché Éclat, £25) that will bounce light off your skin and away from your wrinkles leaving you looking fresh and awake.
8. Boost your mind – This Tisserand Travel Aromatherapy Roller Ball £5.50, is great for reviving your mind you when all you want to do is sleep! The grapefruit, mint and lemon will give you an instant pick-me-up.
9. Add moisture – Do like Victoria Beckham and try Weleda’s Skin Food £9.95, moisturiser that can be used when skin is tired or stressed. The blend of chamomile and calendula perks up Posh’s skin after late nights and long flights.
10. Lift lashes – Curling your lashes is crucial for a wide-awake look! It has an anti-ageing effect as it opens up eyes – always curl before adding mascara.
11. Look glowing – Don’t mask tired skin instead apply a translucent pressed powder down your t-zone to keep a radiant glow to skin and cheeks.
12. Add protection – Wear an SPF based product everyday to help put an end to tired, stressed, damaged skin. We love Philosophy’s Take Shelter £22.50, that is a lightweight SPF 30 lotion that you apply before make-up to shield skin everyday leaving it looking younger.
13. Help puffiness – Keep a cooling rollerball eye cream within arms reach this month! Great for running under and over the tired eye socket area, it will also shift the build up of any puffiness, Clinique’s All About Eyes De-puffing Eye Massage £24 keeps us looking bright-eyed and bushy tailed!
14. Pep-up cheeks – Wake up tired skin with a good blusher. As a general rule light peachy shades and pinks flatter pale skin tones, warm apricot shades suit olive skin tones and plum and coral flatter darker skin tones.
15 Add radiance – Jane Iredale’s 24 Karat Gold Dust £14, is the quickest thing we’ve found to add a burst of radiance to skin. With no drying time, sprinkle this powder on cheekbones, eyelids and shoulders for a sexy golden sheen when you need to bare all again!
16. Try liner – Extend your eyeliner into a tiny tick at the corners to give your eyes and cheeks an instant face lift effect when you are still suffering from the back-to-work blues!
17. Feel good – Revive your senses first thing with an uplifting ginger shower gel or scrub. Keep one handy for sluggish mornings!
18. Get help – Go to the pro’s to get a free make over on tired days! We love BareMineral’s on counter ‘make-under’ service. The mineral powders will boost tired skin leaving you looking fabulous for your next night out!
19. Massage, massage massage – “Just one minute spent massaging your face will give tired skin a boost! Use a creamy cleanser or moisturiser to give your fingers more ‘slip’ then make small circles using the tips of your fingers. This improves the circulation, bringing oxygen into your skin cells and giving your face a healthy glow,” says Alice Hart-Davis.
20. Make eyes shine – Draw along your waterline with a plae nude eye pencil like Rimmel’s Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Nude £3.99, it will cover up any redness and highlight the whites of your eyes, making them look brighter and more awake.
21. Invest in a gadget – If you haven’t got time for a full face massage in the morning, try investing in the Foreo Luna Mini £99, it’s the new must-have skincare gadget that emits tiny pulses through the skin to deeply cleanse as well as firm and tone your skin. Choose the quick cleanse setting to perk up your skin in a single minute.
22. Try a tinted cream – Give your skin a kick start by steering clear of full coverage foundation and opting for Laura Mercier’s Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser £34 which will add a natural lustre to your complexion and give you back the glow you thought you’d lost when winter set in.
23. Add mascara – A quick trick to making your eyes look brighter and more open is to leave your lower lash line free of any makeup except mascara, and slick on a thick flick of L’Oreal Paris’ Superliner Blackbuster Intense £6.99 onto your upper lash line, try it! You’ll notice the difference.
24. Boost your engery – The energising blend of pink grapefruit, rosemary and juniper berry essential oils in the Aromatherapy Associates Revive Morning Bath & Shower Oil £45 is perfect for getting you ready to face the day, dab a little onto your pulse points and inhale deeply as you head out of the door, it’s sure to put a spring in your step.