Don’t give in to a widening waistline this summer! Here’s what you can do, with the help of Angela Dowden’s exclusive diet, to blast belly fat – fast!
What is it?
This is a low-GI plan. Low-GI diets, which focus on foods that release energy slowly, reduce blood sugar and insulin levels, and have been shown to target unhealthy abdominal fat more effectively. This plan switches refined grains for whole grains, a move that has also been associated with a smaller waist measurement. What’s more, it avoids excess salt, so you don’t have to contend with water retention and bloating.
What do you do?
Choose one breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack daily. Also have half a pint of semi-skimmed milk every day, which should be extra to any milk mentioned in the diet plan (A2 milk, available from Sainsbury’s, is a good choice if you think you might have problems digesting dairy). Or you can substitute with a calcium-fortified alternative like soya. Choose wheat-free alternatives (marked WF) if you suspect that eating wheat makes you bloated.
Recipes and food inspiration:
- One boiled egg plus two wholegrain rice cakes spread with Marmite. Bowl of strawberries and blueberries.
- Porridge made with 40g porridge oats and 140ml semi-skimmed milk. Top with 1Ž2 a chopped banana.
- 200g of reduced sugar and salt baked beans topped with a few slices of avocado. 2 satsumas.
- Bowl of canned grapefruit in juice (drained) with 150g full fat Greek yogurt or soya yogurt and a sprinkling of porridge oats.
- Chop 1/2 banana, 1 orange and 1 kiwi fruit. Serve with one rye crispbread spread with 1tbsp peanut or almond butter.
- 300g bowl of fresh tomato (non-creamy) soup from a carton. 1 slice of thinly buttered wholemeal bread or Genius bread [WF] and 2 kiwi fruits.
- Medium baked sweet potato topped with 45g goat’s cheese, fresh basil and chopped tomato.
- Large mixed salad (peppers, cucumber, tomatoes and watercress) dressed with 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a can of sardines in tomato sauce. 1 banana.
- 100g guacamole, served with 3 Ryvita and pepper and celery sticks
- Fry 25g bacon lardons with 1/2 pouch (125g) of ready-to-eat lentils. Serve as a warm salad with baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes and 75g grilled chicken.
- 3 Brazil nuts 8 almonds
- 1 tbsp raisins or sultanas
- 3 dried apricots
- An apple and a kiwi
- 25g chunk Cheddar cheese
- 3 tomatoes and 1/4 small avocado
- 200g cooked wholewheat pasta or brown rice spaghetti [WF] with tomato-based pasta sauce. Add half a can of artichoke hearts, drained, to the sauce when it’s being heated. Serve sprinkled with 1tbsp Parmesan. Bowl of fresh fruit salad.
- Steamed or grilled salmon fillet with four small boiled new potatoes in their skins, peas and broccoli. Bowl of strawberries.
- Thread 175g raw prawns on to a skewer along with some cherry tomatoes and baby mushrooms. Brush with a little Tabasco sauce and olive oil. Grill for 10 minutes or until cooked. Serve with 150g cooked brown rice and a leafy salad dressed with a tsp olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir-fry 160g mixed chopped veg and a large chicken breast in 1/2tbsp olive oil. Serve with1 nest of wholewheat noodles or buckwheat noodles [WF] and reduced-salt soy sauce.
- 150g cod grills, served with homemade ratatouille (stir-fried aubergine, peppers and courgettes simmered with canned tomatoes and herbs) and jacket wedges (200g sliced skin-on potatoes, par-boiled, brushed in extra-virgin olive oil and oven roasted.
See more weight loss tips below: