There is no reason why the whole family won’t enjoy this tasty vegetarian courgetti curry recipe. The mix of sweet coconut and delicious spices will be a treat for everyone – and guess what! It’s low in carb and really healthy! Win, win!
Please note this recipe serves 6.
1 medium butternut squash or 4 small sweet potatoes peeled and diced.
250g organic red split lentils
1 tin of coconut milk
2 medium red onions
3 handfuls of spinach
4 cloves garlic, chopped
50g fresh coriander, washed well
juice of 1 lime
600ml of boullion stock
3 inches fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
3 tsp tumeric ( can add more if you desire)
1 tsp black pepper
Optional ½ chilli flakes
5 large courgettes
What to do:
- Peel the butternut or sweet potato and dice into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the garlic, onion, ginger and squash into the pan with the coconut milk and pour over the boullion stock.
- Put the lid on and bring to a medium simmer.
- 10 minutes later, add the red lentils, black pepper, turmeric and chilli if using, stir and let simmer ( not boil ferociously) on medium for a further 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft and the butternut is tender. You might wish to add the extra 200ml of water during cooking depending how you want the consistency of your curry.
- Use a sprialiser to turn the courgettes into spaghetti and keep to one side. Place a large ceramic mixing bowl in a warmer.
- In the last few minutes, turn the heat off and add the spinach and stir through.
- Check seasoning, add sea salt and pepper, the juice of the lime.
- Stir through the roughly chopped coriander
- Place courgette noodles in a warmed bowl and combine some of the stew and mix through then serve in individual bowls
Optional: toast some cashew nut pieces and toss over the top to serve.
This recipe is from the Primrose Kitchen, primroseskitchen.com