This delicious dessert recipe not only tastes good, but it also contains one of your five-a-day!
The secret ingredient? Jersey Royals! To find out why it works to put potatoes in a pudding, try the recipe below…
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 200g (7oz) cooked Jersey Royals, peeled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml (7fl oz) Jersey milk
- 2 tbsp Jersey cream
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 red eating apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 15g (1/2oz) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan oven 150°C/Gas 3
- Use a hand-held stick blender to blend the Jersey Royals until pureed, or use a regular blender or food processor. Otherwise use a potato ricer or potato masher to give a smooth consistency.
- Beat together the eggs, pureed potatoes, vanilla, milk, cream and sugar. Pour into 4 ramekins or ovenproof dishes. Place them in a roasting pan and pour warm water around them, to come about halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until set.
- Remove the dishes from the water bath and allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the apple slices for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the sugar and cook for another 1-2 minutes over a higher heat, until lightly caramelised. Spoon on top of the deserts, then serve.
Tip: Make the desserts the day before you need them, keeping them covered and chilled in the fridge – though finish off with the topping shortly before serving.