Short notice holiday coming up? Keen to beat the bloat and shed some weight? Don’t panic – follow this simple eating plan and lose 4lb in just four days…
The quickest way to lose weight: lose 4lbs in 4 days on the last-minute diet plan
The first day is a liquid-only, fast-style menu that’s easy on your digestive system and free from added salt to help you quickly de-bloat and fight water retention.
You’re then restricted to a maximum of 1,000 calories a day for the next three days – but our low-sugar and low-salt meal choices are packed with fibre-rich plant-based foods and protein to fight hunger and keep you satisfied. Cutting out highly processed foods and foods high in saturated fat and refined carbs will give your health a boost, too.
What to do on the last-minute diet plan:
1.Simply follow the four-day plan exactly – getting these quantities right is really important so make sure you weigh and measure the portions.
2. During days two to four, you can swap days and meals around if you like, but try not to repeat the same meal more than twice as you won’t be getting the same variety of nutrients.
3. Anything you drink must be calorie-free and alcohol-free – plain (non-fizzy) water and herbal teas are best.
4. Try to do 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise each day – brisk walking (or even running if you can manage it) is ideal. If you have a job where you sit all day, make sure you stand up and walk around at least once every hour as well.
And if you’ve only got 24 hours before you jet off? You can still make a difference if you only have one day – just do the 24-hour kick-start cleanse and you’ll feel much lighter.
Follow the 24-hour kick-start cleanse.
Strawberry and ginger smoothie
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 handful strawberries
- small banana
- 1 cup almond or skimmed milk
- 1tsp grated ginger, to taste
Method: Blend the spinach and almond milk until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
Lunch and dinner:
Carrot and parsley cleanse soup. Makes 2 servings (have one at lunch and the other at dinner)
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 250g carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 450ml water or homemade salt-free stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
Method: Fry the onion in a little oil until soft. Add the carrots and garlic and continue cooking on a low heat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the water and herbs. Simmer for 25 mins, remove the bay leaves and blend before serving. Season with white pepper.
- 200ml low-fat natural yogurt with 150g fresh or thawed berries (eg, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) and 1tsp honey. Sprinkle with 1tsp sunflower seeds.
- Salad made from a handful of rocket or other deep green bagged salad leaves, 2tbsp roasted red peppers from a jar (in water not oil), handful of cherry tomatoes and some chopped cucumber. Top with a small tin of mackerel in olive oil, well drained.
- 150g bought or homemade courgette spaghetti cooked and served with 125g dry-fried 10% fat minced beef and 150g tomato and basil pasta sauce.
- 1 slice of toasted wholemeal bread topped with one small mashed banana. 150ml glass semi-skimmed milk.
- 75g ball of mozzarella, chopped, served with 150g tomatoes, chopped, and chopped basil leaves on 3 dark rye Ryvita crispbread. 2 easy-peeler mini citrus fruits.
- Grilled salmon fillet (raw weight 130g) served with 100g boiled or steamed new potatoes and steamed spinach topped with 1tsp spreadable butter.
- 1 poached egg served with an olive oil-brushed and grilled large portobello mushroom. 1 banana.
- 300g bowl of New Covent Garden Skinny Tomato & Vegetables With Laird Lentils Soup, served with a toasted wholemeal pitta (cut into strips for dunking). One apple.
- Skinless chicken breast roasted in the oven on top of peppers, onion and aubergine coated in 2tsp oil. Undressed salad.
Sprinkle a garnish of mint leaves or parsley and ginger over dishes for flavouring – they’re good for you, won’t add any calories and are anti-bloat remedies.