Disarrano drenched sponge with tangy cranberries and raspberries, a mascarpone custard centre, a smidgen of cream and melt in the mouth vanilla meringues make this mega trifle memorable!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook: 1 hour
- 2 egg whites
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white vinegar
- 600g cranberries
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3tbsp thickening granules
- 250g raspberries
- 500g mascarpone
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 500g carton vanilla custard
- 290g Madeira cake
- 150g ratafia biscuits
- 150ml Dissarano
- 300ml double cream, whipped
- sprinkle of stardust
1. For the meringues; heat the oven to 150C, Gas 2. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment
2. Whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiffly peaking. Tip the bowl – the egg whites are ready if they do not slide around in the bowl. Continue whisking the egg whites adding the sugar just 1tbsp at a time. Combine the vanilla, cornflour and vinegar, stir until smooth then whisk in.
3. Spoon the mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle. Pipe individual meringue onto prepared trays
4. Bake for 1hour until firm. Leave the meringues to cool in the turned off oven with the door open. Store in an airtight tin until needed.
5. For the fruity layer; put the cranberries and sugar into a pan with 300ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 12 mins until the cranberries are tender. Add the thickening granules and heat for 2-3 more mins until the juice is thickened. Remove from the heat, add the raspberries and cool.
6. For the mascarpone custard; put the mascarpone into a processor with the 50g sugar and vanilla extract. Blitz to combine. Pour in the custard and blend together until just combined.
7. Cut the cake in half lengthways, then cut into thin slices. Arrange half the cake slices at the base of a deep trifle bowl. Sprinkle over half the ratafia biscuits, then drizzle on half the Dissarano.
8. Spoon on half the cranberries and raspberries. Spoon the mascarpone custard into a piping bag and pipe over the fruit. Top with the remaining cake, ratafias and Disarrano.
9. Spoon on the rest of the fruit and pipe over the softly whipped cream. Chill until needed.
10. Top with meringues to serve and finish with a sprinkle of sparkle dust.