Who doesn’t like a Rolo cake?! We’ve taken this chocolate cake to a whole new level with a mascarpone cream filling, oozing caramel layer and chocolate truffle frosting topped with Rolos – how can you resist?
Prep 25 mins plus cooling
Cook 55 mins
What you need:
FOR THE CAKE:
225g light muscovado sugar
200g golden caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
300g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
21/2tsp baking powder
FOR THE FILLING:
250g mascarpone cheese
50g icing sugar, sifted
2tbsp vanilla extract
397g can caramel
FOR THE TRUFFLE FROSTING:
150ml double cream
2tbsp golden caster sugar
50g each dark and milk chocolate, broken into squares
What you need to do:
- Heat the oven to 160C/gas 3. Grease and line 2x20cm round cake tins. Using an electric mixer, cream the margarine, sugars and vanilla together until pale, light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs then fold in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and buttermilk.
- Divide the mixture equally between the tins and bake for 45 mins until risen and a skewer comes out clean. Turn the cakes out of the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling: stir together the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla.
- For the truffle frosting: Heat the cream in a pan with the sugar until hot. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Leave to cool and thicken slightly.
- Sandwich the cakes together with the mascarpone filling and a layer of caramel. Spread the truffle frosting over the top and swirl with spoon. Decorate with halved and whole Rolos.
Per serving: 577 cals, 32g fat (20g saturated), 66g carbs
SEE MORE AMAZING CAKE RECIPES BELOW: