We all love Victoria sandwich (named after Queen Victoria), so here’s our new modern classic. They’re mini cakes with an orange twist, Queen Elizabeth loves marmalade, perfect to bring and share with friends.
MAKES 12 – PREP 20 MINS – COOK 15 MINS
What you need:
200g golden caster
200g butter, at room temperature
3 large eggs
Zest and juice 1 lemon
200g self raising flour, sieved
1/2tsp baking powder
For the filling:
200g cream cheese
50g golden caster
1/2tsp vanilla bean paste (optional)
12 tsp lemon curd
Icing sugar, to dust
6 small strawberries, hulled and halved
What you need to do:
- Heat the oven to 190C or Gas 5. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin or 12 cup mini sandwich tin.
- Put the sugar, butter, eggs, lemon zest and juice, marmalade, self raising flour and baking powder and mix together with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide mixture amongst tins. Bake for 15 mins until risen and pale golden.
- Mix together together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla bean paste. Chill until needed.
- Cool cakes on a wire rack, then cut in half.
- Spread creamy vanilla filling over the sponge bases, top with lemon curd and sandwich together with the top half of the cakes.
- Dust cakes with icing sugar and and top with strawberries and cake pops.
Per Serving: 390 cals, 24g fat (14g saturated), 28g carbs