We’ve given an old fashioned battenburg cake a makeover! Layers of pink and almond sponge, strawberry and blueberry fruity jam, a super-oozy marshmallow layer, fresh raspberry icing mixed with bought rose decorations make this cake a real celebration!
SERVES 20 – PREP 25 MINS – COOK 45 MINS
What you need:
For the cake:
350g unsalted butter, at room temperature
350g golden caster sugar
6 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
400g self-raising flour, sifted
100g ground almonds
1tsp almond extract
1tbsp raspberry cordial
½ tsp pink food colouring
For the filling:
6 tbsp marshmallow fluff
6tbsp blueberry fruit spread
6tbsp strawberry fruit spread
For the icing:
400g icing sugar
Selection of sugar roses (from www.squires-shop.com)
What you need to do:
- Heat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3. Grease and base line 2 x 23cm round cake tins with baking parchment .
- Cream the butter and sugar together, until pale; mix in the eggs, then fold in the flour, almonds and milk.
- Spoon half the mixture into another bowl. Add the almond extract to one and the raspberry cordial and pink food colouring to the other. Gently stir together to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tins and bake for 45 minutes, until risen and firm. Push a cocktail stick into the centre, the cake is ready when it comes out clean.
- When the cakes are cool, cut both in half horizontally. Spread one cake layer with the marshmallow fluff, top with another layer of cake and spread with blueberry jam. Add a third layer, spread with the strawberry jam, and top with the final layer.
- Remove the raspberries from the stems, with a fork and put them into a food processor. Whiz until smooth and add half of the Golden Icing sugar, whiz again until combined, then add the remaining Golden Icing sugar, blend again until smooth.
- Spoon raspberry icing on top
- When the topping is cool, apply it to the cake with a palette knife. Pile the chocolate eggs in the middle and serve. The cake will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Per serving: 450 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated), 61g carbs