This warming broccoli soup is the perfect filling dish for any winters day, and as broccoli is good for the body’s detoxification system, it’s good for your health too!
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes, plus making the stock and pumpkin seeds
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1l/35fl oz/4½ cups Vegetable Stock (see page 12) or ready-made stock
- 350g/12oz broccoli, cut into florets and the stalks sliced
- 1 bunch of curly-leaf parsley, about 30g/1oz, leaves and stems chopped
- a pinch of dried chilli/hot pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 Parmesan or other cheese rind, about 7.5 x 5cm/3 x 2in (see page 9; optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds to serve
- chopped chives, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and fry, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and fry for another 1–3 minutes until the shallots are softened but not coloured.
- Add the stock, broccoli, parsley, chilli/hot pepper flakes and cheese rind, if using, and season with salt and pepper, but remember the rind will be salty, if you are using it, so you might not need to add much salt. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes until the broccoli stalks are very tender.
- Discard the cheese rind, if used. Blend the soup, then adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve sprinkled with the seeds and chives, if you like.
Extracted from: I Love Soup by Beverly LeBlanc © Beverly LeBlanc 2016 published by Nourish Books, London. Paperback, £12.99