Meringues are perfect to make in advance, providing you’ve got a large enough airtight tin to store them in – unfilled, they will keep for up to 1 week. This recipe makes enough for 2 meringue cases – if you’re whisking and baking anyway – it’s no extra hassle.
SERVES 8 – PREP 20 MINS – COOK 1 HOUR 30 MINS
5 large egg whites
125g golden caster sugar
125g white caster sugar
1tbsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
4tbsp sweet white dessert wine
2tbsp golden caster sugar
300ml carton double cream
Zest and juice ½ orange
100g pomegranate seeds
2 figs, quartered
- Heat the oven to 120C, Gas 2. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment and draw a 20cm circle on each.
- Put the egg whites into a clean, grease free bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until stiffly peaking. Tip the bowl – the egg whites are ready if they do not slide around in the bowl.
- Continue whisking the egg whites adding the sugar just 1tbsp at a time. Combine the vanilla, cornflour and vinegar, stir until smooth then whisk in.
- Spoon the mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe a 20cm circular base, next pipe large swirls around the edge, then pipe a little swirl in between each . Repeat to make a second meringue case.
- Bake for 11/2 hours until firm. Leave the meringues to cool in the turned off oven wth the door open. Store in an airtight tin until needed.
- Put the blueberries into a pan with the wine and 1tbsp caster sugar. Cook for 3 mins, just to soften, then remove the blueberries and set aside. Heat the syrup until reduced to 2tbsp.
- Whip the cream with 1tbsp sugar until softly peaking. Stir in the orange zest and juice. Put the pavlova on serving dish, carefully peeling away parchment paper.
- Spoon cream into centre, then pile in the raspberries, blueberries, pomegranate and figs. Drizzle over the syrup to serve.
PER SERVING: 377 CALS, 20g FAT (13g SATURATED), 42g CARBs
Discover more festive recipes…
The new red velvet Christmas cake has luscious layers and a gorgeous meringue frosting that is a trendy alternative to…
These crisp buttery vanilla and chocolate star of Bethlehem biscuits make a delicious Christmas treat or homemade gift. Quickly whizz…
Easy to make chocolate cupcakes topped with a swirl of deliciously simple chocolate icing decorated with festive decorations.
Not made your Christmas cake yet and running out of time? Everyone will adore this last minute boozy version!