Daytime TV presenter Ruth Langsford has some competition from a fellow ITV star in the quest for the glitter ball trophy on Strictly Come Dancing this year. It was announced today that Good Morning Britain presenter Charlotte Hawkins will also be donning her dancing shoes this September to take to the dance floor.
Hawkins is the eleventh celebrity to be confirmed for the Strictly Come Dancing 2017 line-up. The journalist and newsreader is following in the footsteps of fellow Good Morning Britain star Susanna Reid, who took part in the show back in 2013.
Charlotte said, “I am so thrilled to be one of the contestants on Strictly this year! I’ve always been a big fan of the show. It is a dream come true to be taking part and I’ll be following in the footsteps of my Good Morning Britain colleagues. I’m looking forward to stepping out from behind the news desk to cha-cha-cha my way across the dance floor!”
With Charlotte confirmed for Strictly Come Dancing 2017, her colleague Piers Morgan will be the only regular Good Morning Britain presenter not to have taken part in the celebrity dancing competition.
So, will we see Piers signing up for Strictly any time soon? Well, two years ago the outspoken star admitted that he had been offered big money to take part in the show.
Speaking to The Sun in 2015, Piers said: “This year I have been offered a lot of money to do Strictly Come Dancing – I think it was six figures, and Dancing with the Stars in America, which was a lot of money, about $300,000 (almost £200,000).”
“But there is not enough money in Fort Knox to get me to dance in public. However, a bottle of Jack Daniel’s is a different matter.”
Charlotte Hawkins joins the likes of pop-star Mollie King, actress Gemma Atkinson and Sunday Brunch star Simon Rimmer already confirmed for the 2017 line-up.
There will be a further four announcements today – including a surprise reveal during the One Show on BBC1 tonight.