These delicious ham and cheese bread puddings are the perfect party snack! Guests are sure to be impressed by these bite-sized treats from John Torode.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Makes: 12 – 16 puddings
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 300g of grated mozzarella
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 200g smoked ham shredded
- 450 milk
- 450ml double cream
- 50g salted butter
- 1 loaf white sliced bread
- parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven at 160 C/325 F/gas mark
- Mix the eggs, egg yolks, salt and pepper together, then pour in the milk and cream, mixing together well, but do not whisk.
- Remove the crusts from the bread, cutting each slice into strips, as if you are making soldiers.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cheese and ham.
- Grease the moulds well with salted butter.
- Start to layer the moulds with first a couple of strips of bread, then the ham and cheese mix. Repeat until each mould is 3/4 full.
- Cover each with the egg custard mixture (as made in step two) and leave to soak for 10 minutes, so the bread absorbs the mixture.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then take from the oven and allow them to set at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Cook’s tips: Serve these with horseradish cream!
John has teamed up with hot drinks machine brand Tassimo to show the nation how to be the perfect host this party season!