The industry's best experts give us their advice...
Advice for fine thin hair is here! Bouncy hair that’s full of life is the ultimate youth-boosting style, but not all of us are blessed with naturally thick tresses. We consulted the experts to find out the best hairstyles and advice for fine and thinning hair, so you can make the most out of your locks…
This is our advice for fine, thin hair.
Giving fine hair the chop can suddenly make it seem much thicker. A long bob, that hangs below your chin, is a great style for those who don’t want to go too short.
Some clever highlights and curls will give your fine hair some much needed texture and body.
Try an updo
Fine hair can often be flyaway and unruly, so pulling it back is a good way of keeping your hair neat. For giving an illusion of thicker hair, keep your hairstyles loose, allowing a few strands to fall around your face.
To stop long hair looking thin style the front sections with a loose wave to create movement and texture.
Try a relaxed topknot if you suffer from fine hair – it’s a quick easy style that leaves hair looks thicker, plus it works for day and night.
Have some layers cut into the front sections of your hair and then style them into flicks so help finer hair look thick.
Try a blow-dry
A very clever blow-dry can give lank looking hair the boost of life it needs. Flicking out the ends works wonders too!
Try a fringe
If you have fine, long hair, don’t let the layers get too long – you get more volume if you have soft layers framing the face. Adding a fringe distracts from the fact that the hair is fine too.
Chunky bobs can be great on fine hair as they give structure and the impression of width. Short choppy fringes also work well because they make the hair look denser and thicker.
Try short styles
Short styles are good for fine hair as they create movement and texture and are easy to shape and style. Beware that over-styling fine hair can accentuate it’s thinness.
Add a graduation
The graduated bob is not only one of the most classic haircuts, it’s the perfect cut for fine hair. It keeps a strong shape even when the hair drops throughout the day and when well cut, always looks immaculate.
- Products our experts love for fine hair:
The Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Light Aussome Volume Deep Treatment Mousse, £4.99, is a rinse off conditioner containing nutrient rich sea kelp that weightlessly conditions dry, fine hair. You’ll see a gentle increase in volume without weighting it down.
- Percy Reed’s No Oil Oil, £14, is enriched with Vitamin B5 to nourish and protect your hair, as well as being packed with frizz-fighting pomegranate oil to banish those wayward strands. Fine hair can often be flyaway and unruly, but Percy Reed’s product will help you keep it under control.
- For an instant, fuss-free boost, Got2B’s Volumising Powder from Schwarzkopf, £4, is the solution. Simply sprinkle into the roots and rub in with your hands to add volume and lift hair from the scalp. Perfect to use before a night out for a little extra hair height.
- L’Oreal Paris’ Elvive Fibrology Thickness Booster, £5.99, will give you fuller hair instantly. It contains their highest level of filloxane, a unique molecule that penetrates the hair strands and swells up inside it increasing the hair diameter. It’s perfect pre-special occasion or before a night out.
- The science and technology behind cult product RapidLash has been applied to a rich leave-in conditioner: RapidHair, Hair Volumising Formula, £69.99. It nourishes the scalp, penetrates hair with polypeptides to boost thickness, makes hair stronger with vitamins and coats the hair in Silk Amino Acids to leave it shiny and full looking. 80% of testers reported a 50% increase in hair thickness.
- America could hold the solution to your hair thinning problems. Nioxin is the no.1 stylist recommended thinning hair brand in the USA with 70% of testers noticing hair looked thicker in 30 days. The Nioxin Hair System Kit for normal to thin hair, £29, works in three steps to cleanse (shampoo), condition (conditioner) and treat the hair and scalp.