She’s known for her slightly more daring outfits, but a £11,250 Julian Macdonald Amanda Holden dress from an episode of Britain’s Got Talent earned her a lot more criticism than usual back in June.
The judge wore the dress for the semi-finals of the ITV talent show, which featured a large gap down the front.
Amanda herself has defended the dress on Instagram, quoting Coco Chanel, saying “It is always better to be slightly underdressed.”
But the Amanda Holden dress caused outrage among viewers, drawing in over 663 Ofcom complaints! And amazingly, the saga has now become one of the most controversial TV moments of 2017, as it’s been officially revealed as the moments that’s received the most complaints of the year.
The controversial outfit choice received more criticism than a harrowing Coronation Street’s storyline, which covered the gang rape of 16-year-old Bethany Platt. The episode, which aired on Thursday 1st June, drew just 13 complaints to Ofcom, despite the sensitive nature of the subject.
It also received more complaints that Good Morning Britain’s interview with ex-EDL leader Tommy Robinson, and an Emmerdale storyline which involved the violent intimdation of a character, Aaron Dingle, in prison.
Following Amanda’s ‘x-rated’ outfit choice, former Tory politician Ann Widdecombe and other angry BGT viewers even called for Amanda Holden to be booted off the show. Widdecombe, 69, said that Holden looked like, “an actress from an X-rated movie” in her chosen outfit. She then went on to say, “ITV bosses will not be doing their job if they do not warn her under pain of being sacked”.
However, it seems that Amanda has got away with her bold choice of outfit. Not only did boss Simon Cowell not bat an eyelid at the uproar, but Ofcom dismissed the case. The broadcasting watchdog decided to let Amanda and BGT off the hook. They found that the show was was ‘appropriately scheduled’.
“We carefully assessed complaints that dresses worn by judges were inappropriate for a pre-watershed audience,” a spokesman for the regulator said.
“We recognise that the dresses had potential to offend some viewers during what is a family show.
“However, while some outfits were revealing, we considered it was appropriately scheduled and would not have exceeded most viewers’ expectations.”
“Will people be complaining to Ofcom? I hope so. I haven’t done my job if they aren’t!”
Speaking about her outfit choices to The Sun before BGT’s live shows, Holden was confident about her bold dresses.
“I can’t wait to wear my dresses. They are very flattering, very feminine and a few are… what you would expect” said the talent show judge.
She also cheekily added, “Will people be complaining to Ofcom? I hope so. I haven’t done my job if they aren’t!”
The 46-year-old didn’t seem phased by the stir caused by her racy outfit choice. The mum-of-three defiantly wore yet another revealing outfit for the following show.
It’s not the first time Amanda’s outfits have drawn complaints. Her and Alesha Dixon’s outfits for the BGT final last year saw around 90 complaints to Ofcom. However, once again the regulator deemed them to be suitable for the show.