Dr Nicholas Perricone told us that dark circles under the eyes can be caused by a variety of factors. As we age, our skin becomes thinner, making the blood vessels appear more noticeable, thereby giving the appearance of dark circles. They can be caused by our lifestyle, heredity, allergies, sinus problems and nasal congestion, sun exposure and diminished fat pads. But you can help lessen the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, fine lines and wrinkles – just follow these simple guidelines:
• Stay well-hydrated with still water. Even slight dehydration can increase dark circles.
• Cut back on salt intake. Excess sodium in the diet can be a factor in dark circles
• Don’t smoke
• Make sure that you get at least seven hours of sleep each night
• Take vitamin C supplements to help strengthen the walls of your blood vessels
• Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables for their anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory properties
• Choose topical treatments rich in anti-oxidants such as alpha lipoic acid and vitamin C ester.