PREP 10 MINS
COOK 20 MINS
1 onion, chopped
2tbsp olive oil
500g lean minced beef
1tsp dried thyme
1tbsp ground cumin
1 red onion, sliced
1tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 burger buns, halved
4tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
1 beef tomato, sliced
1 little gem lettuce, leaves separated
1 avocado, sliced
1. Fry the onion in 1tbsp olive oil for a few mins to soften.
2. Put the mince into a large bowl, season generously and add the thyme, paprika and cumin.
3. Tip in the softened onion and mix together with your hands. Divide into 4 and form into burgers, using a plain ring cutter to help shape. Chill. When ready to cook, heat a barbecue, griddle or grill to high.
4. Gently fry the red onion in the remaining oil for 8 mins until really tender.
5. Meanwhile, cook the burgers for 8-10 mins, turning from time to time, until cooked through.
6. Add Worcestershire sauce to the red onions and cook for a couple of mins to reduce.
7. Lightly toast the burger buns, spread each with 1tbsp mayonnaise and top with a burger and red onions. Serve the tomato, lettuce and avocado alongside or pile up in the bun, if you like.
Per serving: 608 cals, 32g fat (10g saturated), 45g carbs