PREP 15 mins
COOK 20 mins
8 x 300g recycled cans
225g golden caster sugar
250ml sunflower oil
1tsp Wilton Red Red gel food colouring (from amazon.co.uk)
2tsp bicarbonate soda
2tsp white wine vinegar
50g raspberries, mashed
225g plain flour
For the frosting:
300ml double cream
75g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
6 raspberries, to decorate
1. Grease and line cans with baking parchment. Heat oven to 170C, Gas 3.
2. Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a freestanding electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
3. Gradually whisk in the oil until combined and the mixture has thickened slightly.
4. Put the buttermilk into a large jug, stir in the gel colour, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. The mixture will bubble up!
5. Tip the buttermilk mixture into the mixing bowl with the raspberries, flour and cocoa. Gently mix together to combine well.
6. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins. Bake for 15-20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Take out of the oven.
7. Meanwhile, make the frosting: whip the cream until softly peaking. Whisk together the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Gently stir in the cream to combine.
8. Cool the cakes in the tins. Remove lining paper, trim off tops to level and cut in half. Sandwich the cake halves together with piped frosting. Pipe frosting on top of each cake to decorate and finish with a raspberry on top.
SMART IDEA: Divide the mixture between 10 tins if you want to make your dinky cakes lower calorie. Cook for 12-15 mins.
Per serving: 800 calories, 58g fat (25g saturated), 60g carbohydrates