Beef and Mushroom Pie
✱ 2tbsp coconut oil
✱ 1.25kg rump steak, chopped into large chunks
✱ 1tsp butter
✱ 1 onion, diced
✱ 2 celery sticks, diced
✱ 1 carrot, diced
✱ 12 mushrooms, roughly chopped
✱ 2 sprigs of thyme
✱ 1 bay leaf
✱ 1½tbsp tomato purée
✱ 1½tbsp Worcestershire sauce
✱ 500ml beef stock
✱ 1tbsp cornflour
✱ large handful of parsley, roughly chopped
✱ 4 sheets of filo pastry
✱ drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 190°C, Gas mark 5. Melt half of the coconut oil in a large pan or casserole dish over a high heat. Add half the meat, brown it all over and remove to a plate. Repeat with the remaining coconut oil and meat.
- Dollop the butter in the pan and melt it over a medium to high heat. When bubbling, fry the vegetables, stirring occasionally, for about 5 mins. Drop in the herbs and fry for another minute.
- Return the cooked meat to the pan and squeeze in the tomato purée. Stir-fry for 1 min and then pour in the Worcestershire sauce and stock. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Mix the cornflour with 1tbsp water and stir into the beef mixture until thickened. Tip the lot into a baking dish and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Crumple the filo pastry sheets into loose balls and cover the top of the stew. Drizzle the pastry with olive oil and bake for 20 mins, or until it is browned and crisp. Serve with steamed green veg.