SERVES – 4
PREP – 20 MINS
COOK – 1hr
150g red split lentils
1.2kg potatoes, quartered
1tbsp rapeseed oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrot, diced
2 large parsnips, diced
3 sticks celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
750ml vegetable stock
2tbsp tomato paste
2tbsp olive oil
3tbsp chives, chopped
1. Put the red split lentils into a pan and cover with boiling salted water. Simmer for 20 mins until tender.
2. Meanwhile, put the potatoes into a pan of salted water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins.
3. Heat the oven to 200°C, Gas 6. Heat oil in a pan, add the onion and cook for 5 mins to soften. Add the carrots, parsnips, celery and garlic and cook for 5 mins.
4. Add the stock and tomato paste to the vegetables and simmer for 20 mins until the vegetables are tender.
5. Drain potatoes, return to pan, season and add milk and olive oil. Mash until smooth.
6. Drain the lentils and stir them into the vegetable mixture.
7. Tip the vegetables into a large ovenproof dish. Top with large spoonfuls of mashed potato. Bake in the oven for 20 mins until potatoes are turning golden.
8. Serve sprinkled with chives.
Per serving: 276 cals, 11g fat (2g saturated), 62g carbs