PREP 30 mins
COOK 20 mins
5 large eggs
300g softened unsalted butter
300g golden caster sugar
75g ground almonds
225g self-raising flour
5tbsp elderflower cordial
600ml double cream
4tsp icing sugar
300g small strawberries, halved
1. Heat oven to 180C, Gas 4. Butter and base line 3 x 18cm round sandwich tins with baking parchment and sprinkle the sides with flour.
2. Put eggs, butter, sugar, almonds, flour and 2tbsp cordial in the bowl of a mixer.
3. Mix until smooth. Divide between the tins and bake for 15-20 mins until cakes are risen and shrinking from the sides. Cool on racks.
4. Whip the cream with 3tsp icing sugar until softly peaking.
5. Make a few holes in the cake using a cocktail stick. Put one cake on a stand and drizzle over 1tsp cordial. Arrange one third of the fruit on top, then spoon over one third of the cream. Top with second cake, repeat layering.
6. Top with final sponge, drizzle over 1tbsp cordial, spoon over dollops of cream and top with berries. Dust with icing sugar.
Per serving: 708 calories, 54g fat (30g saturated), 47g carbohydrates