Get ready for more Minion madness and mischief as Despicable Me 2 from Universal Pictures (UK) is now available on DVD and Digital Download. To celebrate, we’ve been attempting to bake our very own Minion cupcakes. They’re ideal for parties and ready in 20 steps.
For the buttercream
125g unsalted butter, room temperature
250g icing sugar, sifted
1tsp vanilla extract
For the decoration
336g yellow sugarpaste
100g blue sugarpaste
50g black sugarpaste
20g white sugarpaste
Small palette knife
Small rolling pin
Black edible powder & dipping solution (or clear spirit such as vodka)
Method for the cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder in a medium sized bow, set aside.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time leaving a minute between each addition.
6. Mix in the vanilla.
7. Add half the flour and mix in gently until just combined, add half the milk and repeat with the remaining flour and milk.
8. Scoop the mixture evenly into each of the muffin cases filling 2/3 of the way.
9. Bake for 18 minutes in the oven or until a skewer inserted into the centre of each cupcake comes out clean.
10. To make the buttercream, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar a little at a time and beat together until smooth and creamy (about 5 minutes). Mix in the vanilla and milk.
Method for the decoration
1. Portion the yellow sugarpaste into 12 x 28g pieces. Using your hands roll into smooth cylinders to make the bodies of each minion.
2. For the dungarees, roll out the blue sugarpaste to about 2mm, using the palette knife cut out 12 5.5cm x 25.cm rectangles. Place each yellow body in the centre of a rectangle and using a little water or edible glue, glue the rectangles onto the body so that they cover the front and back of each body.
3. Next, for the sides of the dungarees, roll out the remaining blue sugarpaste and cut 24 1.2cm x 2cm rectangles and with the palette knife trim the bottom corners of each. Glue one of these to either side of each body.
4. For the dungaree straps, use the remaining rolled out blue sugarpaste to cut 24 4cm x 50mm strips. Glue into position on each body.
5. Use the remaining yellow sugarpaste and roll out 24 thin tubes for the arms, attach these using water or glue.
6. Use a little of the black sugarpaste to make small blobs for the hands and shoes and attach. Do the same for the buttons on the dungarees.
7. Use the white sugarpaste to make eyes, you can vary between making one or two eyes for each minion. Use the edible powder mixed with a little dipping solution (or alcohol) to paint the eyes.
8. Using the remaining black sugarpaste roll out very thin tubes and shape into the glasses on each minion.
9. To make the hair, roll thin hair like follicles out of the black sugarpaste. Poke holes into the top of each minion’s head using a cocktail stick and insert the hair into the holes using a little glue or water.
10. If you have them you can use sugarcraft modeling tools to make indentions for the mouth or use a cocktail stick.
Despicable Me 2 is available now from Amazon UK.