This Brazilian chicken bucket is made up of irresistible bite-sized pieces of crispy fried chicken - yum!
SERVES: 4 PREP:15 MINS PLUS MARINATING COOK: 20 MINS
What you need:
- 450g skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp cheiro verde (equal quantities chopped flat-leaf parsley and spring onions)
- 5 tbsp lime juice
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Tempero baiano seasoning (see bottom)
- 1 large baking potato
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and chilli mayonnaise, to serve
What you need to do:
1. Mix together the chicken, garlic, onion, cheiro verde and lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 20-30 mins to marinate.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and Tempero baiano seasoning. Peel and finely grate the potato into the bowl and mix with the flour.
3. Half-fill a deep pan with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C, Gas 4. Use the flour and potato mixture to coat the chicken. Fry the chicken pieces, in batches, for 2-3 mins until evenly browned and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm. Sprinkle with parsley and salt. Serve with chilli mayonnaise.
Tempero baiano seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- dried parsley – 1/2 tsp
- ground turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- ground white pepper – 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and 1tsp dried oregano
Per serving: 475 cals, 19g fat, (3g saturated), 43g carbs
Recipe from Carnival! by David Ponte, Lizzy Barber & Jamie Barber (£9.99, Quadrille)