The Duchess of Cambridge may often be voted as one of the most stylish women in the world, but she’s getting her fashion tips from the original fashionable royal – the Queen!
Here’s definitive proof that Kate’s fashion icon is Her Majesty the Queen…
1) For the Queen, colour coordination is key. She has taught Kate to always match your hat to your coat, and if possible your dress too, for a complete outfit of matching elegance.
2) After Kate was caught out by a strong gust of wind, the Queen shared with her one of her top fashion tricks. The Queen avoids such moments of embarrassment by sewing small weights into the bottom of her skirts, so even if the wind does strike, her skirt will stay in place. Kate hasn’t had any Marilyn moments since.
3) Here Kate follows one of the Queen’s simplest style rules – at formal occasions, hats are a must!
4) The Queen likes to add personal touches to everything she wears, and she has influenced Kate to do the same. Whether that be the national colours of a country she is visiting, its flag, or its emblems, Kate always tries to follow in the footsteps of the Queen, such as the Strathearn tartan scarf she took with her to Edinburgh, or her references to the iconic, unofficial emblem of New Zealand in her hat and brooch when she visited the country.
The Duchess also took this advice from the Queen during the official royal visit to Canada in September 2016. Wearing a red dress to a state banquet as a nod to the colours of the country’s national flag, Kate also accessorised as advised by the Queen.
She wore a Canadian Maple Leaf brooch, a nod to the host country’s most widely recognized national symbol, pinned to dress. The brooch was actually lent to Kate by the Queen, who inherited it, as it was actually originally the Queen Mother’s.
5) The Queen knows that a complete outfit is so much more than the dress, but when it comes to accessories, she also knows that less is most definitely more! Taking after the Queen, Kate now accessories her evening gowns with elegant earrings to complete her look (and the occasional pearl necklace).
6) From a young age, the Queen knew that a long, belted frock was a wardrobe must-have for any Royal, and Kate has promptly followed suit!
7) A source told Vanity Fair: ‘The Queen isn’t a fan of wedge shoes… she really doesn’t like them and it’s well known among the women in the family.’ So after Kate was seen out in these summer sandals, the Queen obviously stepped in. Kate hasn’t been seen in wedges since! Instead the Duchess has followed in the Queen’s footsteps, opting for sensible, comfy, courts.
8) The Queen knows what works for her, and she sticks to her statement style. She has had the same handbag for years, just in many different shades. She has also worked with the same stylist for years. Kate has learnt this, and now has a handful of tried and tested designers she knows look good on her. Along with her trusted stylist, she sticks with them – such as this Jenny Packham dress she wore both for her first royal appearance in 2014 and to a ball in New York in 2015.
9) When the Duchess of Cambridge isn’t taking style tips from the Queen, she uses our Monarch for simple outfit inspiration!
Happy 90th to our favourite royal fashion icon – the Queen! See her best moments below
Want Kate Middleton's style without the designer price tag? Here's our guide for getting her amazing wardrobe on a budget.
No royal stylist necessary!
Steal her style for just £15!
We think we might have found out...
What do you think of the queen fashion through the years? Do you like Kate’s look? Let us know on our Facebook page!