Miranda Hart’s fans are both concerned and disappointment after she was forced to temporarily pull out of performing in the West End production of Annie.
She is one of the nation’s favourite female comedians and there was a huge amount of excitement when she was cast the leading role as Miss Hannigan.
The 44-year-old is reportedly suffering with a throat infection and has missed six days of performances so far.
Miranda tweeted her apologies to her fans. She said: “All actors will concur – worst thing about the job, getting ill. Hate letting anyone down. Been gutting to be away from @AnnieMusicalUK”.
She added: “Voice stronger every day. I’m SO sorry to all my fans coming long distances. I now know the hazard of my love – musical theatre.”
According to The Sun, many of the attendees did not learn about Miranda’s illness until they arrived at the Piccadilly Theatre in London.
Miranda, bottom right, with the cast of AnnieA sign in the theatre notified the show-goers that “due to indisposition” Miranda’s understudy Anne Smith would be performing instead.
Woman & Home spoke with Kath Vincent and son Louis, 13, from Kingston who attended the 3pm show on Sunday 13 August. Speaking about Miranda’s absence Kath said: “When we found out Miranda wasn’t in the show we were really disappointed as she was the main reason we’d booked tickets – we’re big fans. We were sorry to hear she had been in hospital though and hope she gets better soon…”
However, Kath added: “The show was excellent!”
Miranda is scheduled to be replaced by Strictly Come Dancing‘s Craig Revel Horwood next month. Her last performance will be 17 September and Revel Horwood will perform from 18 September to 26 November. However, due to his Strictly commitments he will not be performing on Saturdays.