Helen Mirren is one of our all time favourite celebrities. From her incredible acting talent, to her witty one-liners and down-to-earth attitude, we were hailing her as a queen long before she played our monarch both on stage and screen.
Now the award-winning actress has chosen to share her wisdom, in the form of some sage life advice, so that we all might live a little bit more like the fabulous Helen Mirren.
Whilst accepting the ‘Legend’ award at the 2016 ELLE Women in Hollywood event LA, the 71-year-old chose to share her, “tips to get through life because obviously, you know, I’m quite old so I’ve lived quite a lot of life”.
In her classic satirical, witty, tongue-in-cheek manner, the actress ditched a traditional acceptance speech in favour of her insights on love, friendship, and best of all – drinking.
So, without further ado, here are Helen Mirren’s five top tips to achieve happiness:
- “Never drink alcohol unless you are celebrating something, upset on something, or if it’s a day that ends with the letter ‘Y’. And never drink when you are driving.”
- “There are no rules about love – I don’t believe – but don’t be in a rush to get married, honestly. I married Taylor [Hackford] much later in my life and it’s worked out just great. Give your partner the freedom and support to achieve their ambitions. Very important and that goes both ways, men and women.”
- “At the blackjack table, always split aces, eights and nines. Believe me, it really improves the odds.”
- “Connect with friends daily. I don’t mean on Facebook. Better to have three great friends than 300 friends on social media; friends you can really talk to.”
- “And finally, ignore anyone who judges the way you look, especially if he or she is someone anonymous miserable creep, lurking on the Internet.”
So, tonight, call a close friend and settle down with a big glass of wine for a catch-up. It’s what Helen would do!